How to setup an external MIDI device with Apple Logic
Let's say you have a MOOG keyboard you want to send into Logic. To set this up, there's a few things to do in Logic.
- Make a new project in Logic, create an audio track.
- Open the environment (apple+8)
- In the environment, click NEW/INSTRUMENT
- In the track inspector on the left hand side for this new instrument, select the input port from your audio I/O device.
- Give this instrument a name, like MOOG, by clicking in the name field at the top of the new instrument's inspector in the Environment.
- Now go back into the arrange window (Apple+1). Make a new track, and select EXTERNAL MIDI when the new track dialog comes up.
- The new external MIDI track should be created with the same name of the instrument you created.
- Now, if you record arm this track and play the MOOG, you should get MIDI input from the external MIDI board, and you can add a softsynth and send the output of that new track to the software instrument.
Using this method, you can easily add an external MIDI device to Logic.